Recipe 63: Gluten-Free Mac and CheesePosted: September 27, 2015
You know me. I make no secret about the fact that I’m gluten-free. Heck, I have a whole heading where I talk about different gluten-free pastas. But what might not have noticed is he fact that most of the recipes I make I’m adapting to be gluten-free from “normal” recipes. Sometimes that makes things go funny. Remember the mac and cheesecake? That was probably the disaster it was because of gluten-free pasta.
But every now and then I’m lucky enough to find a recipe made especially for those of us of the gluten-free persuasion. A recipe which takes into account the quirks of gluten-free pasta. And when it’s nice and easy like this one? How could I say no?
- 1 lb gluten-free macaroni, elbows or shells (DeLallo, for example) – I used Wegman’s brand of corn shells
- 1 cup (4 oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 4 oz soft goat cheese or cream cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste – I suggest a heavy hand with these.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Spread cheddar in bottom of a large bowl. Dot with goat cheese. Drain pasta, reserving ¾ cup pasta water. Add drained pasta on top of cheeses. Pour ½ cup pasta water over pasta. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently stir until pasta is coated with sauce. If you’d like it creamier, add more pasta water, 1 Tbsp at a time. Season with salt and pepper.
VERDICT: 3/5 – I’ll admit, I was a little skeptical of how the mechanics of mixing the sauce would work, but it worked like a charm. The texture is a little one-note since there aren’t any mix-ins, but this is a great flavor. This would be one of those that serves as a great base for other flavors. I think chicken or mushrooms would be at home here, maybe even shrimp. It withstood warming up in the microwave, but by then it was a bit bland. I think use this as a base recipe and you’ll be much happier.
I made this recipe a few days ago, and already tonight I have a new recipe to update you with! We’re rich with mac and cheese in this house!